Islam

Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer?

It is keeping peace and good relations between people,

as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind.

- Prophet Mohammed

5/27/10

Day 27

Thursdays are my slow days. It's these days that I get to reflect on what I've learned this month. I'm not saying I sit and think of God and Jesus because I don't. I sit and think of the beauty of life though. After work, I went home and walked my dog. As we walked, I passed hundreds of people. Each and every one of them is trying their best to be happy. Sometimes they make mistakes and other times they make life difficult for other people, but in the end, they want the same as everyone else: happiness; peace; love and comfort. 


I don't think I knew it before, but I believe I was a selfishly joyful person. What I mean is that I didn't get pleasure in other peoples happiness -only my own. Rather, I got angry or jealous. Maybe I would criticize them for pursuing what made them happy or for acting in a way that was different from me. I don't know why, but I did it.  I don't anymore or, at least, I recognize that what I was doing was very wrong and am trying to avoid it. This transformation didn't take place in the Bible though. It took place in church. Looking around and seeing people from all over the world doing whatever they could to provide for themselves and their family but still taking the time to praise God was a beautiful thing.


Buddhism helped me understand myself better, but Catholicism and spending time in mass has allowed me to appreciate other people more. It's been a wonderful month with an even better outcome. I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment