Islam

Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer?

It is keeping peace and good relations between people,

as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind.

- Prophet Mohammed

6/25/10

Day 25

Sometimes life rewards you and an out-of-nowhere day off lands right in your lap. I needed it, too. World Cup has worn me out. What am I going to do though? In high school, I would have spent this time hitting the back-roads, wasting time in coffee shops or playing hackey-sack. In college, I would have probably spent the day sitting in a tree, getting stoned or drinking warm whiskey while having a dance party. In Korea, I would have spent my time reading, writing or drinking. All of them were enjoyable at their appropriate station in life. Now, however, I'm not really sure how to spend my time. Having a wife and dog limits free time, but since my wife is taking sewing classes and still working a bit, I have nothing to do. Nice.


I think I'll use today as an excuse to share a few thoughts. Sound good? 


You know what my dream is? 


I'd like to somehow earn enough money on my own so my wife and I would never be tied to a job, city or country. Don't get me wrong, the US is my home and always will be, but I want the freedom to be able to live a life where I can have a say as to how much or how little I work and earn. And after I earn enough money, I'd like to open a summer camp. Three months a year, it would be bustling with kids eager to swim, canoe, climb, sew, chop wood, camp, build fires, mountain bike and learn true respect for each other and the environment. 


Simply put, I want simplicity. If Quakerism and Buddhism taught me anything, it was nothing really good can come from abundance. Maybe it's stupid, but a dream is what it is and I see no reason why any of us should be forced into a life that we don't want. 


John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." 


Ham Seok-heon said, "Happiness occurs while you're seeking the meaning of life."


I say that "Dreams can't occur unless you allow yourself to dream first."


I don't want to regret my time on Earth and I'm going to make sure I do everything in my power to ensure that when I'm on my deathbed, I can go out not with a smile, but one final and deliberate breath of the very same air that carried me through a fulfilling life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....a summer camp, huh?? Whippoorwill-ish?? Sounds like it...wonderful sentiments in this post.

    ReplyDelete