Islam

Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer?

It is keeping peace and good relations between people,

as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind.

- Prophet Mohammed

6/11/10

Day 11

Easy Friday for me. I guess most Fridays are pretty easy. Just like the rest of the world (save for US and Canada), Korea is gearing up for the World Cup. I've never been a big soccer fan, but that doesn't mean you're going to find me ragging on the sport. I happen to think it's a little anti-climatic at times, however, soccer is just one of many that could make a nice niche on that list. Rather surprisingly, I've discovered that most non-Americans (in an international setting) tend to use a soccer match as a chance to lampoon Americans for not following the game to their standards. 


Here's an example:
Typical Brit: Hey, do you understand "offsides"?
Me: Yeah. It's pretty simple. 
Typical Brit: Wow! I'm surprised.
Me: And why is that?
Typical Brit: There's a saying in England: "Only two types of people don't understand offsides: women and Americans."
Me: Don't you waste a lot of energy talking about Americans?
I've actually had this conversation before and was honestly taken back by how much some of these guys obsess over Americans not liking soccer. On the same note, the amount of time Americans spend analyzing why we don't like soccer.  Some much energy is wasted on such an absurd thing. We need more time to focus on what's important. It's only been ten days so far and I'm looking forward to my first Meeting this coming Sunday, but I can honestly say that I have been thinking and living in a much more pointed way. I have thrown out the excess. 


Quakers don't waste energy on dogmas and creeds. They live by testimony and action. Engaging in such trivialities with an obnoxious Brit who is too blinded by his own delusions of the world is a waste of time. The next world isn't the focus this month nor it is the focus of Quakers. Making this world a better place is what this religion is about. 
True godliness doesn't turn men out of the world but enables them to live better in it and excites their endeavours to mend it. -William Penn
How much time do you waste on the wrong things? 

No comments:

Post a Comment